ok. there is so much swirling through my brain lately, that i'm considering writing some of it down on this blog. part of me still thinks journaling on the world wide web is strange. plus who really wants to read one more person's thoughts about life. so my reasons for attempting this new adventure are: 1. i am a verbal processor. and i type faster than i can write in a journal. i like journals. i could collect them because i think they are so pretty. but i have never been a real "journaler" 2. there are often times that i want to share my thoughts with you, my friends, but i cant put words together because i'm thinking about so much that my brain turns to mush, therefore i say nothing. and 3. i guess i would like to hear your comments. i welcome all comments. you think i'm crazy, or you have actually been pondering the same things, etc. and if you dont care to hear my ramblings, feel free to take me off of your feeder-reader.
now i warn you, i'm not eloquent. some of your blogs i read them and dont really know what you are saying, but you write so artistically that afterward i'm left amazed. this blog wont be like that, sorry.
and i'm not sure if after today i will continue to think out loud on the internet, we'll see.
oh, and of course we will continue to post pictures of our favorite babies.
the baby news for today...elliana took 7 steps across the living room floor while holding a book! and toby and i played catch at the park and he caught the ball 5 times in a row!
who am I? who is God? as naive as this sounds, i am just now really learning that people are different. we know Him, express Him and worship Him in different ways. this is the kicker...and there isn't one way that is "right" and another that is "wrong"! i have found that my brain has a right and wrong filter for everything. sure, sometimes its necessary. but for now, i need to learn to "be." not perform or accomplish.
i have a hard time focusing in corporate church gatherings lately. it's hard for me to connect. yet, when i am enjoying life, i feel the most spiritually connected. for example, i was standing in front of toby and elliana, both on swings at the park today. the sky was gray and it was humid and sort of misty. both kids were smiling and really having fun swinging. at this moment, my eyes teared up and I thought about/"felt" God. i wasn't doing anything right or wrong. i wasn't being "spiritual", yet I sensed Peace.
now i still do want to find God in the church. i'm still seeking, but slowly and differently. our church just started a series on the disciplines of christianity. part of me wants to run. what really is necessary, or good? can it be different for everyone? plus, shouldn't we all know a lot more about 1st century jewish culture before we try and interpret the bible? i am not looking for excuses to live a crazy selfish life. i want to pick up the bible to learn about Jesus because I know Him and love Him. not because i should. so is the saying, "discipline, desire, delight" the secret? i hope not, or at least i hope there is more to it.
i have learned that there is so much that i dont know. and i'm ok with that. i dont want to have it all figured out. i have experienced the presence of God in different ways throughout the years and i know that my heart will not be satisfied without Him. so my journey is to find Him. i actually dont want another "experience" right now. i want a steady, solid, inner-knowing that I am His. He is mine. and that i am "okay" just because He made me.
I look at my own kids and are overwhelmed with love for them. elliana will always be my daughter. so therefore, I will always love her. toby will always be my son, therefore, i will always love him. pray that this lesson will be transfered into my heart so i will know this for myself.
i have several thoughts and questions about prayer, but i will save that for another day.
oh friend-I love the way your brain works :) I'm happy to read your verbal processing-I miss hearing it in person!
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a wonderful week. We should Skype soon. Love you, Steph!
-j
Steph,
ReplyDeleteSeriously to be able to think about all of this and take care of two kiddos close in age is amazing !!
I have felt the same way about not wanting another "experience" but just to rest and know.
I love you sharing your thoughts! It encourages me to know that God speaks and we can listen even when taking care of little kids full time.
Blessings,
Rachel Burdette
Steph, I love this. It's refreshing, encouraging and comforting to hear your honest thoughts. I hope you continue to share them this way! :o)
ReplyDeleteSteph, thanks for sharing this. i have been feeling a little disconnected from everything lately and your words provided some much-needed encouragement.
ReplyDeleteand just for the record, i will never take you off my feeder-reader. ;)
Steph, I miss you and really enjoyed reading this. We're praying for your family and can't wait to see you guys (we're coming to Farm Day.) By the way, Jess showed me some pictures of Elliana when she came to visit...and she looks so different! Probably, the cutest, chubbiest (in a good way) little curly haired girl I've ever seen. I can't wait to see her again! Toby looks pretty much the same to me, from the few pictures, but I'm sure he's changing and growing just as much. I can't believe he caught the ball 5 x! I can't even conceive of L. having those motor skills yet. He started saying "May I do..." such and such, the other day, which is pretty hilarious. Sometimes he yells it when he really wants to do something and is about to lose his mind.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, sorry about this long comment.
Thank you for posting your thoughts.
Oh, by the way, this is Amy (as in Zach and Amy and Laith...) I can't figure out how to put my name in.
ReplyDelete