Thursday, July 8, 2010

i didn't learn the first time

some friends of ours were planning on coming in town to visit us yesterday. so after going to the Y in the morning, i was going to attempt to take all three to the grocery store. now the only reason for this was that we needed some fruit, lunch stuff, toilet paper, etc. for our guests. and you remember how last time I tried this, it was CRAZY! But I had to go and this was the only way it worked out.

But this time I had a plan. I didn't bring my big diaper bag inside so that I would have more room in the shopping cart. I had just changed Asha and fed her so she was content. We found one of the shopping carts that looks like a car and has a spot for two kids to sit and drive. I convinced both of them that it would be super fun to ride in it, and I put Asha in her car seat in the big part of the cart. I wasn't going to get many groceries so they should fit around her car seat.

Ok, so we are strolling through the store, everyone is doing great. I give the older two some food to munch on. They have good attitudes, they aren't pestering each other. Asha is just chillin' in her car seat. This isn't so bad after all.

Now we are almost finished and I realize that I dont have anymore room in the cart to put the groceries. I take Asha out of her car seat and let Ellie hold her in her lap with the little seat belt. This worked great! Asha loved it and I started putting the last groceries inside her car seat. We are about to go to the checkout line and Ellie decided she didn't want to hold Asha anymore. So I picked her up and started to carry her. Elliana then screamed! There was POOP on her shorts! Asha had exploded her diaper and it was on her onesie and Elliana's lap!

And remember, I dont have my diaper bag. So I'm trying to carry Asha without getting any poop on me. We run over to the baby section and get diapers and wipes. Then park our shopping cart in front of the bathroom. With one hand I get a diaper out, help each of the big kids down and grab the wipes. Now I'm changing Asha on the changing table of the bathroom. I turn around and Toby is squatting on the floor while Elliana is putting the cone that says, "caution, wet floor" on TOP OF TOBY! Gross! So I make both of them stand right next to me where I can see them. Then after a minute or two they both realize that they too need to go to the bathroom.

Ok, now everyone has gone potty and washed their hands. We try to rub the poop off of Ellie's shorts. Asha is now in just a diaper. (this story is taking longer than I intended, so I'll hurry it up) We go over to the small clothes section and find some new shorts for Ellie b/c she is freaking out about the poop. We hide behind the cart and change her shorts. And of course Toby has a melt down because Ellie is getting new clothes and he wants some too. Well at this point the easier thing was to let him pick out a $3 shirt. And he takes his sweet time trying to find the perfect one.

Finally at the checkout line. We are unloading the groceries. As I pick up the coffee creamer (which was inside the car seat) I feel something squishy on my finger. Oh yes, poop. Toby sees and asks loudly, "is that chocolate?"

Anyway, I clean it off quickly so no one will see it. We finish and pay and load up the cart. Then we look out the windows and it is POURING down rain! Of course. I ran to the truck as I pushed the car-cart with the kids and the HEB man pushed a cart with our groceries in it. Once everything was loaded and we were all in the truck, I just started laughing. And the kids started laughing. It was really all we could do.

Oh I forgot to mention that our friends and I decided that it was best to reschedule their visit since there was rain in the forecast and we all wanted to play on the farm and go to the zoo.

So now I think I've officially learned my lesson!

6 comments:

  1. Haha wow, I would absolutely hate being in that situation (you know how I am - too much of a control freak!), but thanks for giving me a good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Joiner! I can only imagine how chaotic it was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a disaster! Major props to you for being able to laugh about all that right after it happened!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Steph! I had a similar experience once except not only was the poop all over me, but it had dripped down all over the floor! So embarrassing! And of course I had left my diaper bag in the car b/c we were just getting a few things :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! So hoping that day never comes for me. Don't know that I'd be calm in that storm!

    ReplyDelete