
I just finished reading the last book of the Narnia series. I'm so sad the adventure is over. I absolutely LOVED these books. I never read them as a child, or really knew the story. My friend Lauren's husband recommended that I read them about a year ago. He gave me the first book to borrow. I brought it home, forgot all about it, then a few months ago, I found it and devoured it. Of course I quickly ran to Barnes & Noble and bought a giant book that contained the whole series. Thank you, Tom!
I love fiction. And I love C.S. Lewis. David and I both read and loved his space trilogy and even made Elliana's middle name, Ransom, after the main character Dr. Elwin Ransom. So I knew that I would most likely enjoy the Chronicles of Narnia. But I had no idea that I would love them this much. I think each story was even better than the previous.
I feel a lot of emotion, just in general, and I struggle to express what I'm feeling with words. So I dont have amazing reviews to write. I just feel so full of hope.
I picture myself with feelings and thoughts that are deep down inside of me. I get glimpses of them or fleeting thoughts that sort of wet my appetite for more. But I dont fully understand them. I really do feel a longing deep inside of me for more and something other. Lately I've been wanting a new vocabulary to try and express my thoughts about God. To be real honest, a lot of the normal Christian phrases don't make sense to me anymore. They seem empty, cliche, and I have to fight a feeling of bitterness that tries to creep in.
I've noticed though, that if I ignore the part of me that is longing for God, a numbness comes over me. I can see now that God wants me to long for Him. He finds ways to draw me to Him.
I will feel but cannot express, then I have a conversation with someone who draws those feelings up from the deep parts of me and puts them into real concrete and practical thoughts that my brain accepts. I picture something like Harry Potter with his wand, wooing a swirling grey tornado up and out of me. ha! Then I continue on with my life, enjoying the here and now.
Then, I'll read a book that is just what I needed. Sometimes I know that I am needing this, other times I wasn't even looking for something. Or I'll read an email, or watch a movie, or have a moment with my kids. And the swirling thoughts and emotions are drawn up again. Sometimes that produces words that bring my mind peace. Other times just emotions that bring me peace. There are certain authors that are better with their Harry Potter wands than others, and C.S. Lewis is one of those authors.
As I read the book, I heard myself saying, YES! And I cried so much. I felt myself excited for adventure and mystery. And the last part of the last book about Heaven?! wow. And I know that the real Heaven can only be better!
And Aslan! I am in love with him! And in awe of him all at the same time. The way he looked at the different characters, without saying anything, yet they understood and were moved by his eyes...that touched a wound in me. And the part about the Taarkan man who obeyed what he had been taught and sought after the false god Tash. Yet in the end he was changed by Aslan calling him his beloved. again, wow!
this turned into way more info that i intended to write. ha, sorry! welcome to my complicated, emotional, analytical way of interpreting life!
if you haven't read, The Chronicles of Narnia, you can borrow my copy! I hope it moves you too!
I just want to say, this is beautiful and something I can really identify with all too well. Your realness is refreshing! This encourages me. Makes me want to read the series (I too, have not read them). Thanks for sharing, Stephanie. BTW, your kids are adorable (the pics below!)
ReplyDeleteSteph! you are amazing and so genuine! i need to spend some time with you to get refreshed and recharged! anyways, im so glad you took toms recommendation and read the series. you know i still havent. but as one of my goals for 2011 i think i will. he has read a lot of books and the other day said that on a very strict scale, Chronicles is the only one he has ever read that is a 10! love you and sorry this is more like a letter than a comment! Asha is so big! and precious!
ReplyDeleteSteph, I wish I had known you were reading them! I have like three copies of the chronicles. They featured prominently in my childhood and I haven't quite been able to let go of them.
ReplyDeleteMy copies are kind of ratty, but if you ever want a set of paperbacks, you are welcome to one of mine.
Beautifully written, Steph. I can totally relate to your feelings, and feel lucky to have such an amazing friend with which to share. You are an amazing friend, mother, and wife. And you inspire many!
ReplyDelete