Friday, May 6, 2011

My bookshelf so far this year

 Yes I read the Twilight series.  And LOVED it!  I was anti-vampires for years.  But I got sucked into it by my girlfriends.  First I saw the movies and then of course had to get the books.  I cannot wait for Breaking Dawn the movie this November!  And it should be said that I have been on Team Edward the whole time.  Yes Jacob is HOT, but Edward is her soul mate.  And the most wonderful part is that in Breaking Dawn she explains the reason for the love triangle so everything works out perfectly!!




 I loved this book!  All the controversy that is surrounding this book is ridiculous.  Our local Christian bookstore, Mardel, is not even selling it. Rob Bell is not a universalist.  He simply asks the questions that we have all wondered but have been afraid to say.  He challenges you to expand your view on heaven, hell and God's character and purpose.  He uses themes from C.S. Lewis' book the Great Divorce.  He looks at lots and lots of scripture and tries to put into the correct cultural context what Jesus means when he talks about heaven & hell.  He also discusses the parable of the prodigal son and examines both son's view of their father which determines their worldview and response to him.  It was great!   I walked away from the book wanting to live more for the kingdom of God on Earth now!  I am choosing to participate in things that will be a part of Heaven on Earth someday.  I recommend reading it!





And I admit, I love Science Fiction.  These came recommended by the lovely Eleanor Lewis.
I'm so glad that I had both books because as soon as I finished the first one I picked up the second one and started devouring it!  I don't even know what to say about these amazing stories.  They discuss faith, suffering, purpose, love, forgiveness, cultural differences, slavery, cannibalism, justice vs. revenge...  
I laughed, cried, & often sat there with my jaw open in shock. 
I loved the character Ann, I want her to be in my life.  And I find myself wanting to say, "Sipaj, Toby!" or "Sipaj, Ellie!"  If you've read them you will get it!

I have learned that I have an addictive personality, ha!  It's really hard to just read at night or during the kids rest time.  I want to read ALL the time.  The story takes over my life.  I think about it and dream about it.  So I'm on a book break.  But next on my list is,




No comments:

Post a Comment